This article only applies if you’re using the WooCommerce e-commerce software.
You can offer variations of a product, such as colour, size, language, etc.
For example, a clothing item may be available in small, medium and large.
Setup a product variation:
- To do this, go into your product editing screen.
- Change the product type to “Variable” using the drop-down menu on the product edit screen:
- Click on Attributes on the tabs, then “Add”:
- Add the option label and the values, e.g. Silver|Gold, making sure the “|” symbol is used between values:
- Next, go to the “Variations” tab and select “Create variations from all attributes” and click “Go”.
- Finally, click “Save attributes”, then publish your page.
On your product page, you should now have a drop-down menu displayed:
Add a price to each variation
Now, you need to add a price to each product variation.
- Click on “Variations” (shown below in red).
- Click on the product variation to expand it (shown below in blue).
- Add a price and ensure it’s set as “In stock” (shown below in green).
If you do not do this, the WooCommerce software will say: “Sorry, this product is unavailable. Please choose a different combination.”
Deleting a product variation:
To delete the variations, go to the “Variations” tab, put your mouse over the option, and a “Remove” link will appear:
Ensure you save your product page after doing any edits.