This article only applies if you’re using the WooCommerce e-commerce software.
When taking payments via WooCommerce (e.g. via PayPal), your “Orders” page will show an icon next to each transaction:
By putting your mouse over the coloured icon, you can read its status:
- Pending payment: This means the order has been created on your website, but the customer’s payment hasn’t been received yet. For example, it could mean the user has reached the PayPal screen, but not proceeded. In rare circumstances, it may mean that PayPal were not able to communicate back to your website to say a payment has been processed, so you should check your PayPal account / PayPal emails too.
- Failed: The payment failed or was declined.
- Processing: This means the customer’s payment has been received. The order is now awaiting dispatch, i.e. for you to process it. If you’re using WooCommerce to track your orders, you can click into the order and change the order status to “Completed” once you’ve dispatched the product(s).
- Completed: The order is complete. No further action is needed.
- On-Hold: It’s awaiting payment. For example, this could be because the customer is paying by cheque.
- Cancelled: The order has been cancelled by you or the customer. If you’re managing stock levels in WooCommerce, the product will be available again for purchase by another customer.
- Refunded: You have refunded the transaction.
By clicking into each order, you can see more information and manage the order:
For example, you can:
- See what items the customer has purchased.
- Change the order to “Completed” (i.e. dispatched).
- Add private (internal) notes.
- Add a note to send to the customer.
- Resend copies of invoices.
If you’re looking for more help, WooCommerce have a series of help guides on their website, e.g. Managing Orders.