These instructions only apply to email mailboxes (not email forwarders).
To connect to your Primary Image mailbox via your desktop email software or smartphone app, you can use the following settings.
The exact setup steps will depend on what software you use (e.g. see our guide for using Thunderbird). As there are so many different types and versions of email programs and apps, we are unable to provide step-by-step instructions for every mail program on the market. However, you may want to consult your software’s own help guide, or use a search engine, for specific advice on your own program.
- Type of account: IMAP
- Username: This is your email address, e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: This is chosen in your control panel, or provided by us if we setup your mailbox
- Incoming mail server: mail.primary-image.com
- Port number: 993
- Outgoing mail server: mail.primary-image.com
- SMTP port number: 465
- SMTP authentication: Your email account requires outgoing authentication (using the same username and password as above)
- SSL: Yes
Once the settings have been accepted, you will be able to view and send emails via your mail software.
IMAP or POP3?
We recommend setting up your mailbox as an IMAP account, which means messages that have been read/deleted/replied will synchronise with the mail server (and therefore this will be reflected across all your devices).
If preferred, you can choose to connect via POP3 if preferred, but this is a more basic email system and doesn’t offer synchronisation.
Will my email accounts use a secure connection?
Yes, by using those details above, your username and password will be sent over a secure, encrypted connection (called SSL/TLS).